Monday, April 05, 2004

10-Year Anniversary - Curt Cobain

So it was ten years ago Curt Cobain died. At the time did I really know who he was? The most I knew was that Nirvana was the weird video that always seemed to come on after my favorite one, No Rain by Blind Melon. There was a little Klu Klux Klan girl jumping to reach hearts hanging on a tree. And even then I could see the pain in Curt's eyes. Something in his hazel-flecked eyes spoke of a deep-rooted pain I hadn't quite seen until then. I remember going into school that week and seeing kids walking around dressed in black, or with Nirvana or Cobain t-shirts on. I remember one girl in particular, Jen Renaud. She came into school with her hair draped over her face like a mourning veil. It struck me how affected some people really were by this. At the time I wasn't a Nirvana fan. For the next five years I really wasn't a Nirvana fan. It wasn't until I met Andrew Apostolopolous that I had any interest in Nirvana at all. The only song I really knew up until then was "Lithium," and that was because my brother had played it for me. I never knew until recently that Cobain's body was found the morning of my birthday, April 8. 1994 - 10 years ago. 10 years has gone so fast, yet not so.

Someone make the snow stop...please.

No comments: