Wednesday, April 06, 2005

CNN has posted some of the emails they've received regarding the Pope and his impact on them. Some were very moving and interesting.

I am a Tanzanian Catholic currently working in Tokyo. Pope John Paul II visited Tanzania in 1990. What I saw that day, the crowd from all walks of life, different faiths flocked to see and meet him. Everyone wanted to shake [his] hand. It was not possible, but when he raised his right hand to bless us, I felt an electric shock in my body, my faith strengthened and tears went down our eyes. He was a man of God who wanted to see no one in pain. The way he died in pain, I think he wanted to take all the pain people face in the world today. He has died for us, and as a Catholic, I believe we have to carry on what he lived for. Though he died, I also believe he is somewhere watching and guiding us. There is no way for anyone to shake my faith ever since I saw this man of God in September 1990 in Tanzania. May his soul rest in peace. Amen.
Assumpta Massoi; Tokyo, Japan


Youth today are a cynical bunch, but when my daughter, who is barely out of her teens, learned that the pope met with and forgave Mehmet Ali Agca [his would-be assassin] she commented, "he was truly a good man." I cannot think of a better way to describe him.
Enrique Olmos; Sydney, Australia


John Paul the Great, your influential words shook the structures of the modern world. Not only were you the pope, you were a great person, one whom I feel was right in the heart of the action but also in the hearts of the people no matter the religion. We will miss and love you always, papa.
James; Belfast, Northern Ireland


As any Catholic, I feel orphaned as [if] I have lost a father. But also I feel we have won a saint in heaven to pray for us.
Alejandro; Buenos Aires, Argentina


I was just myself thinking of this yesterday...and today as well when my phone remarked to me that he will most definitely be a saint. Another saint looking out for us can never hurt, and I realize that this is most definitely a mark in history. St. Theresa, Pope John Paul II, these are big pieces of history that will be ingrained within in for years, decades, centuries...until the ends of time. I must say I'm quite moved by how he had touched so many, especially those not of the Catholic faith. Embodied in that man was, to me, the essence of Roman Catholicism. The selflessness, sacrifice, and indiscriminate love...

No comments: