Monday, November 20, 2006

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Matt Cassamina's Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess review is up on IGN. Scored a 9.5 but in my opinion the game is nearly a 10. Here are his closing comments:

"The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is, in my opinion, the greatest Zelda game ever created and one of the best launch titles in the history of launch titles – second only, perhaps, to the at-the-time ground-breaking Super Mario 64. It is also one of the finest games I have ever played. The experience is made better and not worse on Wii. The Wii remote and nunchuk add accuracy and speed to exploration and combat for a heightened sense of immersion. While the game has just about everything going for it, including improved controls, a long and engrossing quest, brain-teasing dungeons and some beautiful graphics, it's not perfect. The difficulty has been upped over Wind Waker, but I wish it were harder still – the boss fights are oftentimes too easy, for example. Additionally, while the visuals are generally impressive, some textures remain blurry to the point they are noticeable. And finally, I still question why Nintendo refuses to add either voice work to the side characters (especially since Twilight Princess features such an improved, dark storyline) or orchestrated music to the soundtrack.

Nintendo's new console ships with Wii Sports, which effectively demonstrates a new breed of games only possible on Wii. The Zelda franchise is equally exclusive to the machine and Twilight Princess is must-see, must-play and must-own entry into the series that proves over and over again why Nintendo is the best developer in the world."


I agree with just about everything he says too, which is rare. I'd love to see some voice acting for NPCs. Link can be a mute just like Gordon Freeman is for Half-Life. And after hearing some of the most amazing orchestral and symphonic arrangements done for this series, (I admit I have an extensive orchestrated Zelda library) the MIDI-sounds are getting old. But this, as well as my next point, may be for a simple reason.

Cassamina also mentions the game textures, both gameplay and cutscene. The textures on the overworld make it evident that TP was originally a Gamecube game. That said I'm only about an hour into the game and I'm already blown away. Graphically the game is still beautiful, and if it WERE released on the Gamecube I wouldn't have known they could pull those visuals out.

The feel of the game is very dark. It starts out happy like former titles, very similar to Ocarina of time, I even liken it to an evolved original Zelda, but a technical successor. (Hell, Ocarina of Time floored me the first time I played, and it's what I attribute my survival of my tonsilectomy to)

It's not often when games come along that you're genuinely disappointed when their epic draws to its end. I know Twilight Princess is going to be that way, but thank God it's a lengthy title if anything. It's beyond me how they keep evolving this series, and it's far from stale. I doubt it ever will be.

Full Review Here
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments: