Sunday, March 28, 2004

Time for a weekend UPDATE!

This was such a LONG LONG week, and now that it's over in retrospect it was pretty awesome. Let's start back to the beginning of the week shall we? So things were going horrible on Monday. We had had numerous party meetings which 2 of the 3 party coordinators habitually missed. We had no definite DJs, no definite band, and no invites. Monday night we get invites, still working on DJs. Another party meeting on Tuesday, not very productive. I step up as a co-party-coordinator and Asa and I had lunch a few times to discuss what needed to be done every day this week. So we get upto Wednesday and we we have a band, but they don't have a PA...or microphones. Next day we've still got no DJs, and no PA. Friday is the same deal and we're freaking out. Now I was going to have 4 friends up this weekend, but one by one they all bailed on me until FRIDAY I get a call from Matt and he says he's on his way up with Alaina. Yay woohoo fun! So after being at work a total of 3 hours out of the 8 I was scheduled, I hit up happy hour down on Marshall St. Good Happy Hour, good times, good friends, and a chance to relax after the hellish week of work, class, projects, presentations, and general stress.

So Zach, Bekkah and I go back to the house to chill, and I get a call from Matt. "Bad news." His transmission blew out 25 miles from 'Cuse. So at 10 o'clock I drive on out to Cortland to pick him and Alaina up. Now Friday was GORGEOUS...the weather has been getting consistently better every day. Well after an awesome Friday it's pouring. So out 30 mins there and back to pick them up, and then back to the house where it's mostly uneventful since there were no parties going on and it was raining llamas and emus outside. Went to bed still wondering if we'd have DJs or a PA or anything else set up for Saturday's party. This had to be the most difficult party I've ever had to coordinate or take part in. Usually our parties work as so: My house has 14-16 people in it every semester, and we all put in $40 for a party collection. We 99% of the time get this money back, and usually everyone is halfway decent in getting their money in. But this time it was like pulling teeth. Two of our house members skipped out this weekend and just up and disappeared which left us initially -$80. Then another housemate couldn't pay her $40. Then another initially only put in $14. Now since we no longer can get kegs in NY state without someone having to register their license along with them and paying a hefty increased deposit, we opted to go the route of cans. We used to get 6 kegs, which the equivalent is about 40 cases. So this party after much toil involving recycling cans, hounding people who hadn't paid, Andrew and I putting in $100 out of our own pockets, and renting a PA we were able to have our 80s/90s Dance Party. It went off well. Slow at first but picked up quick and a sizable crowd showed up in the end. I had a ton of fun so it was worth it, but all day Saturday when I was out since 10am until about 7pm was complete utter hell. We ended up having 3 DJs, renting the PA (which I had to pick up and drop off), getting 40 cases of beer (because of the extra $ Andrew and I doled out), and having a college hip-hop group called Higher Ground play the party. Everyone had fun, and today only helped.

Today was the most beautiful day we've had yet this spring in Syracuse. It was about 70 degrees all day long, and we basically just hung out on our porch all day long. We hit up Cosmo's for breakfast this morning, and started cleaning up the house when we got back. I took Matt and Alaina to the airport so he could get a rental car to drive back to NJ, but he couldn't get one so one of Alaina's friends ended up coming up here to pick them up and take em back. Overall it was a pretty great weekend, and I hope I can make it through the wall of work I've got to do this week. I'm going to go get on it right now :L

New pics up!

www.ofoto.com
Login: jediqr7p@hotmail.com
PW: orange

No comments: