Monday, July 21, 2003

Ok here's my little shameless promotion for Macintosh. I read recently this article about Microsoft and their ever digging into a grave. Microsoft is on the down, and it's sad to say but they will never be as great as they once were. I agree almost completely with that article. Microsoft is the master of desktop OS. Now they're trying to diversify too much. I bet if we asked Bill Gates what he thought about all the periphereals they've got going, he'd bitch slape me like Shiva.

I used to be really anti Macintosh. I had used Macs in elementary, middle and highschool. They were fun in the former two, but by the latter I had gotten so used to Windows and their successors as well as the Microsoft Office package that Macs just got to be annoying. Anyone who went to my HS will most likely agree that when you went to the writing lab, you RAN for a PC if you were smart. Even if it was just so you didn't have to hear that annoying 'DOOO' sound. So yes, I was very anti Mac. I accepted the GUI was easy to use, and the build was very solid. Ok whatever I liked windows lol. I'd learned DOS from a young age, and once I hit Win 3.11x I was sold.

However in the past few years, especially since I've been at college, I've been coming to respect Macs more and more. They're excellend for video editing and when I was working on my animation films, jumping in was next to nothing. Their software packages are solid and just as easy to use. My brother created a resume and online portfolio of his work within 2 days. Impressive. Then came our favorite (or mine if you saw my last post) thing, MP3s. I had only bought one MP3 player up until my Ipod. I had a Rio mp3 player, and that thing annoyed me. It could hold like 10 songs at 194 bitrate, or maybe 30 mins of music. That was definitely pebbles compared to what I lug with me now. Ironic how I say lug, yet the slightly larger Ipod, with storage that VASTLY dwarfs other MP3 players, is lighter than any of them. Even the so-called "stick" players!

The Ipod was extremely easy to set up and it hasn't stop amazing me yet. It's like an mp3 player coupled with a minimal PDA, for people who don't WANT to have a PDA. I can put in appointments and things on a calendar via MS Outlook, and put text files on there such as a shopping list, or to do. You can even put in people's info like your cellphone, but actually their home addresses and email addresses now. I never thought there'd come a day where I could have my entire Michael Jackson collection with me. That day has come, oh yes. So easy to set up, even easier to use, it feels like the piece of technology I've waited for, for years! If you have the means I totally reccomend getting one. the 5GB ones are VERY cheap and worth every penny. T

hese 3rd gen models are thin, battery life is great (I get about 10 hours of a full charge!), and the 5GB would serve you well. Most peoples collections are just about that big, usually smaller. Of course I'm the guy with over 10,000 files, over 45GB lol. Oh well, maybe one day they'll be a 50GB Ipod hehehe. Until then the 30GB will be my trustworthy companion.

No comments: